Rental Maintenance—Do it Yourself Or Hire it Out?
As a landlord being able to do your own maintenance and repairs can help save money…most of the time.
YouTube can be your friend, there are videos and guides to show you how to fix most items. However, some repairs require the help of professional, licensed contractors.
You want your property to be safe and functional for your tenants. In most situations, when it comes to safety you should have a licensed professional do the repair. They should handle repairs dealing with plumbing, electrical, or heating and cooling.
These contractors go through a licensing process to stay current on the city and county building codes. They know which projects need building permits and what specialized tools are necessary to finishing the job correctly the first time.
So how do you know which projects to tackle on your own?
You can feel free to fix any repair issue on your own if you have the required tools. But should you?
If you can answer “no” to any of the following questions, you may want to hire a handyman.
- Are you a handy person?
- Is it a simple fix?
- Do you have the tools for the project?
- Do you have the time to handle the repair in the next 24-48 hours?
- Can you do the repair safely?
- Do you want to do it?
Hiring a handyman opens up your time and keeps your tenants happy.
Many property management companies such Day Property Management LLC have their own maintenance branches. Integrated Property Solutions LLC(IPS) is the maintenance and repair company Day Property Management uses.
IPS handles all repairs that arise with rental properties
Repairs such as:
- Handyman Services: Fixing and Repairing the source of your tenant’s complaint
- Janitorial Services: Apartment Turnovers, Day Cleaning, Maid Service—keeping your units in great shape for the next tenant
- Painting: Interior / Exterior—Maintaining your property value by keeping your building’s exterior in great condition. Allowing you to keep the interior looking fresh, clean, and updated
- Grounds Maintenance: Mowing, Weed Eating, Debris Removal, Snow Plowing/Blowing—Never worry about a city citation again when your tenant doesn’t fulfill their lawn or snow duties.
- Power Washing: Decks, Buildings, Paint Prep— Properly prep and paint your new addition or unit exterior with power washing to remove old stain and paint. Power washing keeps your buildings looking great year-round.
- Post-Construction Clean-Up: Ready Buildings for Occupancy—Faster turnover time between tenants when units are fresh, clean and move in ready after you update.
- Window Cleaning: Interior/Exterior—Spring and Fall window cleanings shake off the winter blues and provide tenants with a clean environment before winterizing.
- Estate Management: Cleaning, Preparation, Removal—Take the worry out of vacant property with regular maintenance
- Carpet Cleaning: Extraction, Bonnet, Powder—Save on replacement costs when you can with deep carpet cleanings
There are many ways to handle tenant repair complaints. The easiest way
is to hire professionals to do it for you. Saving you money and time in the
To learn more about hiring a property maintenance company to handle your day-to-day repairs give IPS a call at 920-738-3288 or fill out our contact form.